Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Climbing a mountain of roadblocks

When I look at my service learning so far, it's hard to pinpoint anything remotely parallel to Greg Mortenson's accomplishments and setbacks in "Three Cups of Tea" and my service learning at Sunrise Retirement Villa. Yes, we are volunteering just as Mortensen is, but I'd like to find something deeper than the obvious . Due to a major flu outbreak at my service site, I wasn't able to make it this past week. Perhaps the closest comparison I can think of is facing roadblocks. Mortensen's roadblock was coming up with the funds to build a bridge after spending most of it on the school. My roadblock was a flu outbreak that kept me from fulfilling my scheduled service for the week, and now I have to scramble to find the time to make up for that lost day. One quote I feel sums up our similar dilemmas is,"Pull yourself together, Greg. Of course you've hit a few speed bumps," Reichardt said. "But what you're trying to do is much more difficult than climbing K2."(Mortensen 106) Now I realize spending a couple hours a week isn't a monstrous task, but finding the time between juggling work, school, and having a family to take care of really does feel like climbing a mountain some days.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely. I think his story really inspires me to see how much dedication to the cause anything really takes because it took Greg TEN years to get any real recognition for what he does, yet he pushes on with it all. All of us face similar blocks because of the busyness of daily life so I think his story can serve to help us think about our own speed bumps.

    ReplyDelete